Gear You'll Need
For the best hikes in Breckenridge you want to make sure you’ve got the right gear! The hikes in this list vary from very short day hikes to big days in the mountains. Because of this it is important to be prepared with the appropriate gear. Conditions can change quickly in the mountains so I do have some essentials that I recommend bringing along.
- Good pair of athletic shoes – you won’t need hiking boots but I do recommend a sturdy pair of shoes in case the trail is uneven
- Layers – always recommend layers to dress up or down depending on the temperature
- Rain jacket – especially in summer you never know when a storm can pop up
- Water bottle – recommend at least 1 liter of water per person especially in hot summer conditions
- Sunscreen & Sunglasses – protect those eyes and skin!
Moderate & Difficult Hikes – The list above plus…
- Hiking boots – I wouldn’t recommend doing these hikes in athletic shoes. You’ll need something with good ankle support and toughness
- Hiking Pants – Keep the rocks out of your shoes and protect your legs against abrasion
- Water bottles – Recommend at least 2 liters of water per person
- Food – throw a few cliff bars or a sandwich in to make sure you’ve got an energy boost
- Trekking Poles – You can get by without them, but they definitely help save the knees on significant declines